The Open Society Documentary Photography Project and Arts and Culture Program announce a grant and training opportunity for documentary photographers from Central Asia, the South Caucasus, Afghanistan, Mongolia, and Pakistan. Approximately 10 cash stipends in the amount of $3,500 USD each will be awarded to photographers to produce a photo essay on a current human rights or social issue in the region. Along with the stipend, grantees will participate in two master-level workshops on visual storytelling through photography and multimedia. These workshops are led by internationally-recognized photographers and industry professionals who will then provide ongoing mentorship and support throughout the six-month grant term.
The six-month grant program will provide up to 10 regionally based photographers with:
- A cash stipend
- Audio equipment and software
- Two advanced training workshops
- Travel and hotel expenses and provide a per diem to cover meals and incidentals for the workshops
- Ongoing coaching and mentoring throughout the grant period
- Deadlines to keep your project on track
- Publicity and promotion of the work produced
- Opportunities for follow-up support to distribute the finished work
The deadline for applying is 5 pm EST May 10, 2012.