Elon University is hiring a multimedia professional in residence. The residency has flexible timing, from one year to several, depending on the candidate’s availability and goals. Details below.
Professional in Residence: Multimedia Journalism, Specializing in Multiplatform, Visual and Real-time Communications
The School of Communications at Elon University invites applications for a professional in residence specializing in multimedia journalism, effective August 2013.
We seek a candidate with recent experience as a professional reporter, specializing in multimedia and multiplatform news. His or her work should involve creating and combining strong visual elements and long, medium and short written reports and publishing them in emerging and traditional media outlets. This position begins in August, 2013, and is renewable for up to five years. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Description: The professional in residence will foster experiential learning, developing students’ skills in contemporary multimedia and multiplatform media practice. This encompasses analytics, audience, inclusiveness, ethics and classic storytelling. The successful candidate will teach Multimedia Journalism and other courses, depending on the needs of the School and the candidate’s expertise (current curriculum: http://goo.gl/9cnUa). The professional in residence will also advise student-media projects and help lead multimedia journalism workshops and initiatives for the Elon University community, including mentoring other faculty.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Recent, significant hands-on professional multimedia reporting experience
- Capability to do full-fledged multimedia reporting, including writing of in-depth or short pieces implementing AP Style, photography, video and infographics production
- Capability to create in and teach professional-level design and editing software
- Experience with and teachable knowledge of content management systems
- Capability to build in and teach HTML and CSS
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to identify, evaluate and incorporate emerging tools in multimedia work and teaching
- Proven professional approach in online personal branding in social media
- Teaching experience, preferably at the university level
- Experience with additional new-media tools
- Experience with search engine optimization and analytics
- Experience with computer-assisted and database reporting
Elon’s nationally accredited School of Communications is home to 45 full-time faculty members and 1,100 students – 20 percent of Elon’s student body. Students select among majors in Journalism, Strategic Communications, Media Arts & Entertainment (broadcast and cinema), Communication Science, and Sport & Event Management. The School also offers an M.A. in Interactive Media. To learn more about the School of Communications, visit http://www.elon.edu/communications.
Elon is a dynamic private, co-educational, comprehensive institution that is a national model for actively engaging faculty and students in teaching and learning. To learn more about Elon, please visit the university website at http://www.elon.edu. Elon is known for its small classes, international focus and advanced technology. The university attracts about 10,000 applicants a year for 1,400 seats in the incoming class and ranks second among master’s-level universities in the South. The university is located between Raleigh-Durham to the east and Greensboro to the west on a campus that is a designated botanical garden.
Email a letter of application, vita, links to online work, and the names and contact information of four references to email@example.com. Elon University is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff and student body and welcomes all applicants.