Pierce College Hiring Tenure-Track Multimedia Professors

Pierce College is hiring for two tenure track professor positions in the Media Art Department, one in Journalism/Multimedia and one in Cinema/Multimedia. Application info below. Details available at https://laccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/search.

Position Description

Located on about 426 acres in the West San Fernando Valley, Pierce College combines state-of-the-art technology and learning with the picturesque beauty of its rolling hills. Founded in 1947, Pierce College is a growing two-year public institution with more than 100 disciplines being taught to more than 20,500 students each semester and enjoys one of the highest transfer performances in Southern California. Seen as a leader statewide and nationally, Pierce College is now seeking to expand its outstanding faculty by offering two (2) full-time, tenure track positions:(1) Cinema/Multimedia position and (1) Journalism/Multimedia position in the Media Arts Department starting with the Fall 2013 semester.

Job Description

The Media Arts Department consists of six disciplines: Broadcasting, Cinema, Journalism, Multimedia, Photography and Public Relations.

Minimum Qualifications

Cinema/Multimedia

An earned Master’s degree in film, drama/theater arts, mass communication OR Bachelor’s degree in any of the above AND a Master’s degree in media studies, English, or communication.

Journalism/Multimedia

Master’s in journalism or communication with a specialization in journalism or Bachelor’s in either of the above AND Master’s in English, history, communication, literature, composition, comparative literature, any social science, business, business administration, marketing, graphics or photography.

Duties and Responsibilities

In accordance with its mission as a community college, instruction at Pierce College includes lower division courses. Faculty members at Pierce College are expected to facilitate student learning by designing varied and exciting learning environments. Evening and/or weekend classes may be scheduled based on department needs. In addition to the regular weekly teaching load, duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:

• Teach courses over an academic year in accordance with established course outlines;
  • Participate in the development and the assessment of student learning outcomes (SLOs);
  • Maintain scheduled office hours for student contact;
  • Participate in professional development activities and maintain current knowledge in the discipline;
  • Develop and update department course curricula including developing hybrid and/or online courses;
  • Develop resources, materials, and strategies, including using multimedia technology (Pierce Online Moodle) to teach students in a multicultural environment;
  • Devote a minimum of five hours weekly to campus responsibilities (senate, accreditation, etc.);
  • Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college faculty, staff and students.

Cinema/Multimedia

• Modify existing courses as necessary, and continue development of a new digital video production curriculum that emulates on-the-job proficiency required of film professionals.
  • Retain and motivate students by engaging them in the learning process using a variety of teaching methods, including the use of computers and other technologies to provide high-quality classroom instruction.
  • Help develop a recruitment and marketing plan designed to attract students who want to work in the field of cinema.
  • Develop community bridges by planning and implementing education advisory committees to incorporate recommendations from these groups into the instructional program.
  • Assess the need for equipment and educational materials; help formulate and submit appropriate grant applications and/or purchase requests.

Journalism/Multimedia:

• Teach a variety of Journalism and related media courses.
  • Collaborate with other department faculty in co-advising the online versions of both the weekly campus newspaper the Roundup and the campus magazine The Bull and KPCRadio.com.
  • Modify existing courses as necessary, and create new curriculum that emulates on-the-job proficiency required of journalism professionals in the changing media environment.
  • Help develop a recruitment and marketing plan designed to attract students who want to work in journalism and broadcasting.
  • Develop community bridges by planning and implementing education advisory committees and incorporate recommendations from these groups into the instructional program.
  • Participate in appropriate professional development activities, including accompanying student journalists to weekend conferences and competitions.

Desired Qualifications

Cinema/Multimedia

• Film production experience, possibly in the areas of the documentary or animation;
  • Knowledge of the history and theory of the field and excellent academic record that indicates a strong foundation in teaching the discipline;
  • Knowledge of the film industry and ability to help students with internships, networking and getting their work shown;
  • Knowledge of current software and editing techniques used in the industry [The multimedia lab has Final Cut Pro, Pro-Tools, After-Effects and Final Draft.];
  • Screenwriting knowledge/experience;
  • Experience in web/mobile media production development;
  • Knowledge of the internet and its application, mobile media, social media and their advantages for film students;
  • Familiarity with web based design and content delivery, knowledge of html helpful;
  • Innovative ideas on how Media Arts could collaborate with other departments such as art, theater, music and communications;
  • Recent teaching experience at the community college level;
  • Commitment to participate in extracurricular responsibilities within the department and college beyond the teaching assignment;
  • A learner-centered focus: able to inspire, motivate and empower students to succeed;
  • An ability to work effectively with computers and other forms of advanced technology utilized in providing high-quality classroom instruction;
  • An ability to communicate professionally with students, classified staff, faculty and administration;
  • Two years of professional experience.

Journalism/Multimedia

• Journalism experience including knowledge of writing fundamentals including print/broadcast/online writing styles, grammar and AP style;
  • Experience in production of content for new media such as blogging, online writing, graphic design and publication, pod-casting, multimedia presentations, digital video production and editing, audio production and editing;
  • Knowledge of the field and willingness to advise students about professional opportunities;
  • Evidence of experience in collaborating with other departments such as art, theater, music and communications;
  • Recent teaching and publication advising experience at the community college level or other higher education setting;
  • Commitment to participate in extracurricular responsibilities within the department and the college;
  • Evidence of learner-centered teaching and ability to inspire, motivate and empower students to succeed;
  • Two years of professional experience.

Application and Evaluation Process

For consideration in the selection process, all interested candidates must submit the following:

• Letter of Interest (describing your interest in the position);
  • Current descriptive resume that summarizes how you meet the qualifications of the position;
  • Contact information for three references;
  • Copies of transcripts (official transcripts are required only at time of hire).

Employment is contingent upon verification of qualifications. Pierce College reserves the right to modify and/or withdraw this position at any time. Notification regarding advancement in the selection process will be provided to each applicant.

Individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request an accommodation in the selection/interview process with at least three business days prior notice. Documentation of the need for accommodation may be requested.

Please submit your application and required documents by April 5, 2013
[Application materials may not be submitted by Fax or e-mail.]

For additional information or questions, please contact:
Mary Fellows, Personnel Assistant at (818) 610-6523

Pierce College is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer.

Salary and Benefits

The current starting range is from $47,600 to $74,110 for the 10-month academic year depending on education and experience. The doctoral differential is $3,000 per academic year. The District provides an excellent benefit package including medical, vision, dental, and life insurance to the employee and eligible dependents.

Learn More

Learn more and apply at https://laccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/search.